Panel 1 - Ruff's Station

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
 Ruff’s Station – Panel 1 / PDF of Display Panel 1
Cobb County was formed in 1832 from Cherokee lands, with Marietta as the county seat. The Cherokee were forced to leave their homes.
   Northwest Georgia was distributed in sections of 160-acre lots in a land lottery in 1832. A separate gold lottery parceled areas that supposedly had gold into 40-acre lots. In the early pioneer days, campgrounds were important meeting places as settlers lived so far apart. Since travel was so difficult, families would gather for several days listening to sermons and socializing. The Smyrna Methodist campground was established in 1838 near present-day downtown Smyrna.
The Western and Atlantic Railroad brought an influx of new people to Cobb County. The construction of the railroad began in 1839 and was completed from Atlanta to Chattanooga in 1850.
Many important business people and families from Atlanta built their weekend and summer retreats here around that time. Ruff’s Station was one the sidings, later becoming Smyrna. A railroad siding is simply a short stretch of track that allowed train cars to sit to the side or pass one another. Smyrna’s beginnings were small.
   Concord Woolen Mills opened in 1847, being one of the first industries in the area. Robert Daniell and Martin Ruff owned the complex along Nickajack Creek.
Smyrna was later incorporated in 1872, with the city taking the name of the old campground

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer