The City Administrator is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Smyrna City government. Various departments report to the City Administrator (with several reporting to the Assistant City Administrator), and the Administrator provides general guidance in departmental operations. The Administrator is appointed by the Mayor and Council, and it is the City Administrator's responsibility to ensure that requests made by elected officials on behalf of their constituents are accomplished. The Administrator also receives and resolves citizen complaints.
The major goals and objectives for the Administration Department are to:
- Promote policies that will maintain a financially sound City
- Assist the Mayor and Council in making good business decisions
- Carry out polices adopted by the Council
- Provide general direction for the other operating departments of the City
- Meet goals and objectives established by Mayor, Council, and Department Heads at annual goal-setting retreats