Please be aware that the City of Smyrna does not have an Animal Control or Wildlife Management department but we've provided information about the proper authorities below. Please refer to the Cobb County Animal Services website for more information.
If You See a Coyote:
Cobb County Animal Services does not respond to wildlife calls if you simply see a coyote in your neighborhood.
However, if you spot a coyote that is injured or is causing an immediate threat to public safety, Animal Services will respond.
Cobb County Animal Services
If the situation is an emergency, call 911.
Tips to Avoid Attracting Wildlife:
There are certain things that you can do to deter wildlife from coming onto your property:
- Do not place garbage bags on the curb until the morning of pick-up.
- Secure basement vents and hatch doors.
- Lock or remove pet doors, especially between dusk and dawn.
- If wildlife is coming around bird feeders remove the bird feeder for a couple of weeks.
- Do not feed pets or stray animals outside. This will attract wildlife.
- Do not allow your pets to roam free.
- Provide a safe outdoor enclosure or keep them as inside pets.
- Remove debris such as limbs that are piled up.
Here are additional resources for information on coyotes and other wildlife:
Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division: (770) 918-6401 http://georgiawildlife.com/
Coyote Fact Sheet 2017: http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/fact-sheets/2017_coyote.pdf
Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort (AWARE) Fact Sheet: https://www.awarewildlife.org/how-to-live-with-wildlife/