Qualifying for Smyrna Municipal Election (November 2019 election) - Mayor and all Seven Wards
The Municipal Qualifying period this year - determined by O.C.G.A. 21-2-132 - takes place between Monday, August 19th and Friday, September 4th. (Within that week, a municipality must designate no less than three consecutive days in which to conduct qualifying.)
The hours each day are 8:30 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch break.
Candidates for Mayor and Wards 1 through 7 will qualify for the general election to be held Tuesday November 5, 2019 during these days.
Qualifying fees were set at the January 7, 2019 City Council Meeting and published and advertised by February 1, 2019.
- Qualifying Fee for Mayor $756.00
- Qualifying Fee for Council Member Ward 1 - 7 $567.00
Qualifying will be held in the Human Resources Training Room on the first floor of Smyrna City Hall (2800 King Street, Smyrna Ga 30080) as follows:
- Tuesday, August 20th, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 21st 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.,
- Each day the qualifying process will close for lunch from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.
The corporate powers of the City of Smyrna shall be vested in a mayor and seven (7) councilmembers. One (1) councilmember shall be elected from each of seven (7) wards provided for hereinafter and shall be elected only by the voters of the ward from which a candidate offers for election, and a councilmember must remain a resident of the ward from which elected during the term of office.
Qualifications for a candidate:
- A person must be at least 21 years of age
- Must meet the requirements of a qualified voter of the City of Smyrna, as prescribed by State Law, and
- Must have been a resident of the City of Smyrna for at least one year prior to the date he/she offers as a candidate
- If elected, must continue to reside in Smyrna throughout his/her term of office in the ward elected.
- The candidate shall not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude.
The Mayor and Councilmembers shall be elected by a majority of the voters voting within each respective ward. The Mayor may reside anywhere within the corporate boundaries of the city and shall be elected by a majority of the voters voting from the city at large.
Council member positions are designated by Ward numbers 1 through 7. All candidates qualifying to run shall state the position to which they seek election. A candidate for council shall be a resident of the ward from which the candidate offers for election at the time of qualifying, and a council member must remain a resident of the ward from which elected during a term of office.