The list of the candidates who qualified August 20 - 22nd, 2019 is provided in the below link:
The qualifying period has now expired as of 4:30 PM August 22, 2019. The qualified candidates are provided in the hyperlinked list above.
The corporate powers of the City of Smyrna shall be vested in a mayor and seven (7) councilmembers. One (1) councilmember shall be elected from each of seven (7) wards provided for hereinafter and shall be elected only by the voters of the ward from which a candidate offers for election, and a councilmember must remain a resident of the ward from which elected during the term of office.
Qualifications for a candidate:
- A person must be at least 21 years of age
- Must meet the requirements of a qualified voter of the City of Smyrna, as prescribed by State Law, and
- Must have been a resident of the City of Smyrna for at least one year prior to the date he/she offers as a candidate
- If elected, must continue to reside in Smyrna throughout his/her term of office in the ward elected.
- The candidate shall not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude.
The Mayor and Councilmembers shall be elected by a majority of the voters voting within each respective ward. The Mayor may reside anywhere within the corporate boundaries of the city and shall be elected by a majority of the voters voting from the city at large.
Council member positions are designated by Ward numbers 1 through 7. All candidates qualifying to run shall state the position to which they seek election. A candidate for council shall be a resident of the ward from which the candidate offers for election at the time of qualifying, and a council member must remain a resident of the ward from which elected during a term of office.