Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Licenses & Permits

Licenses and permits in the City of Smyrna are issued and managed by various departments, including Community Development, Police, & the City Clerk. Please contact the appropriate departmental representative to assist with your license or permit application.

Business License Applications
Alcoholic Beverage Licenses
Alcohol Pouring Permits
Peddler's License
Photo/Film/Video Permit
Building Permit

Business License (Occupational Tax) Applications
Every business owner operating in Smyrna must have a current City of Smyrna business license. Applications are registered with our Business License Officer located in the Community Development Department at Brawner Hall.

1. Download the application. The applications are in fillable PDF format, so you can download the form, type directly into it, then print it. Click here to download the Business License application. If you intend to operate your business out of your residence, please complete the Home Occupation License application instead. 

2. Get it notarized. To verify citizenship, you must provide proof of citizenship (such as a driver's license or passport) and have a notary public stamp and sign the application. You may use the services of an outside notary public or have the Business License Officer notarize the application for you. 

3. Submit the completed form. You may email a scanned copy of your notarized application to the Business License Officer ( Alternatively, you may mail it, fax it, or deliver it to Brawner Hall (3180 Atlanta Rd). 

Other Information:

  • Fees. Business license fees are based on annual gross receipts of the business.
  • Public Notice. Those completing the Home Occupation License application must also obtain signatures from neighbors or the apartment management office. The Business License Officer will provide the necessary form(s) after you submit the initial application.
  • Other Permits & Inspections. Contact the Community Development Department for information regarding zoning and variance requirements, sign permits, health/safety inspections, and parking.
  • New Businesses. Click here for a list of new commercial business registrations in the City of Smyrna. The list excludes home-based businesses and is updated monthly. Records are cumulative, beginning with the first license issued for 2014.

Alcoholic Beverage Licenses
Any establishment selling alcohol within the City of Smyrna must obtain an Alcohol Beverage License(s) prior to engaging in the sale of alcohol.  Alcoholic Beverage Licenses are handled through the Business License Office. Application forms are available here or for change of agent only here.  Upon submission of the initial form, the applicant/agent will undergo a background check by the Smyrna Police Department. This process will be monitored by the Business License Officer.

All new or altered Alcohol Licenses will be advertised two weeks prior to the scheduled review by Mayor and Council or the License and Variance Board.

Please note that all applications for locations that have not had a privilege alcohol license within the past twelve months must be accompanied by a certified survey verifying that the proposed establishment meets all distance requirements as detailed in the City Ordinance section, Chapter 6, section 118.

Alcohol Pouring Permits for Restaurant and Package Store Staff
Those applying to pour or sell alcoholic beverages must undergo an investigation and be fingerprinted. The alcohol ordinance may be viewed online.

Peddler's License
This is a 30-day license required by any person or corporation seeking to conduct door-to-door solicitations in Smyrna. To secure a Peddler's License, applicants must visit the City Clerk's office on the second floor of City Hall. Walk-ins are welcome, though an appointment may be scheduled by calling the City Clerk's office at (770) 319-5303.

Photo/Film/Video Permit 
Commercial photography and video shoots in Smyrna must be permitted. The application should be submitted 5 days prior to the shoot. See also the related ordinance and information regarding State of Georgia tax credits for film and TV projects. For more information or location assistance, contact Community Development at (770) 319-5387.

Building Permit
The Community Development Department is responsible for permits associated with building, redevelopment, structural changes and variances. For information pertaining to these permits and applicable fees, please visit the department's Frequently Asked Questions page. You may also speak with a staff member in Community Development by calling (770) 319-5387.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer