Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


  • How do I pay my bill?
    Our page devoted to paying your bill will assist you with the information you need in order to make a payment using one of the many ways available for you to make a payment.
  • As a new resident, how do I get service?
    You will need to fill out a Residential Application for Utility Services. 
  • How can I set up service for a new business? 
    You will need to fill out a Commercial Application for Utility Services. 
  • I own a vacant property and I want temporary service. What do I do? 
    You will need to fill out a Temporary Service Application for Utility Services.
  • What are the outdoor water use restrictions?
    The City of Smyrna follows the guidelines established by the State of Georgia. Please visit for the current restrictions.
  • What are the water and sewer rates? 
    Click here to download the Current Utility Rates: water rates effective January 1, 2019 & sewer rates effective February 1, 2019. Click here to download Previous Utility Rates effective January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018. 
  • What is a Storm Water Utility Fee?
    To meet storm water maintenance and management needs, the City of Smyrna has established a storm water utility user fee. A monthly fee is charged for each Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU), such as a single family residential unit or each individual multifamily unit. Commercial properties will be calculated at the same rate where one ERU is equal to 3,900 sq. ft. of impervious surface.
  • How often will I be billed?
    Bills are issued monthly near the beginning of the month. Your bill is always due the last working day of the month. To avoid a 10% late fee please pay your bill by the due date. To avoid disconnection of service, pay your bill no later than 20 days after the due date.

    Often, your monthly bill will include messages about the sanitation schedule for holidays. The bills also often include information about upcoming City events such as concerts and festivals. Other City information many also be included such as the City Newsletter which is issued quarterly. 
  • I use my bank's online billpay service. Where should I send my payment?
    If you use your bank's online bill pay service, please be sure you include only your customer number as found on your bill. Please send payments to:

    City of Smyrna
    PO Box 116296
    Atlanta, GA 30368-6296
  • How do I obtain an Irrigation Meter?
    Contact Community Development Department at (770) 319-5387 with information on your existing or proposed underground sprinkler system. Contact the Utility Services Department regarding billing options. You will receive a separate bill which will include an irrigation meter base rate
  • Why do I have low water pressure?
    You could have low water pressure due to work being performed on the water system. You can contact the Public Works Department at (770) 431-2850 to determine if there is a problem with the system. If the City is not working on the system, you should check the service line from the meter to your house for a possible leak. If no leak can be found, the pressure regulator inside the house could be clogged. In that case, you should call a plumber for service. The Public Works Department cannot perform work on private property. 
  • Will the City repair my leak?
    The City only repairs the distribution system up to each individual customer's meter (called the "street side" of the water meter). If there is a leak in your house or between the house and the meter (called the "customer's side" of the meter), the City cannot make repairs. If the leak is physically inside the meter box, the City crews will make repairs from the meter back to the street. 
  • How can I tell if I have a leak?
    All water meters installed since the mid 1980s have a leak detection device. To test for a leak, make sure that no water is running inside the house. Go out to the water meter location, remove the meter box lid and observe the small silver wheel device on the water meter face. If it is turning even slightly, there is a leak somewhere on the customer side of the meter. 
  • What do I do if the water line that runs from the meter to my house breaks?
    Turn the water off at the meter with a pair of pliers. If you are unable to turn off the water, call the Public Works Department at (770) 431-2850 or (678) 631-5338 for assistance. After hours and on weekends and holidays, call the City of Smyrna Emergency Service line at (770) 434-6666. You will need to call a plumber to make repairs.

  • I received a notice in the mail soliciting a water related service that looks like it is from the city. Does the city endorse or recommend these services?
    No. We are aware that independent companies are sending solicitations to Smyrna residents attempting to sell insurance coverage for water lines running through your property. Please know that the City of Smyrna does not endorse or have any relationship with these or any other companies soliciting water related services or insurance programs. City of Smyrna residents are responsible for their water line from the water meter to their residence. If you have a question or concern about a water line on your property, please contact the Utility Services department at (678) 631-5338.

  • Is my water meter read every month?
    Yes, water meters are read electronically every month. 
  • Where does our water come from?
    Water provided by the City of Smyrna originates from two sources. Residents in Smyrna get water provided by the Cobb County-Marietta Water Authority. This water comes from two water treatment plants; the Quarles Plant (Chattahoochee River) and the Wyckoff Plant (Lake Allatoona). View the annual water quality report for additional information.
  • Why does my water taste or smell funny?
    If you have recently painted or laid new carpet, the VOCs will react with the chlorine in the water. Other common reasons for bad tasting or smelling water are:
    • Chlorine added to kill germs.
    • A rotten-egg odor can be caused by small amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in the water.
    • As algae and tiny fungi grow the surface water sources, they give off non-toxic, smelly chemicals that can cause unpleasant tastes in drinking water. Different algae cause different tastes and odors. 
  • Why is my water cloudy?
    Cloudy water is caused by tiny air bubbles in the water similar to the gas bubbles in soft drinks. After a while, the bubbles rise to the top and are gone. This type of cloudiness occurs more often in the winter, when the drinking water is cold. 
  • Why is my water reddish or brown in color?
    The reddish or brown color, although nontoxic, can cause problems with the staining of clothes, and it looks bad. The most common causes of this discoloration are:
    • Iron, which sometimes occurs in nature, may be dissolved in your water. When iron is dissolved in the water, it turns the water reddish-brown. Iron removal devices are available and you may want to consider buying one if you have this problem.
    • Pipes leading to your home, or in your home, may be rusting, creating rusty-brown water. Also, your hot water tank may be rusting. Check with a plumber on how to drain and flush your hot water tank. If water discoloration persists, call the Public Works Department at (770) 431-2850 to flush the water mains in the street. 
  • What do I do if my sewer backs up?
    First call the Public Works Department at (770) 431-2850 to report the trouble. The City will dispatch someone to check the sewer mains in the street. If there are no problems with the main lines, the service technician from the City will advise you to call a plumber. 
  • Who do I call for emergency service?
    After hours and on weekends and holidays, call the City of Smyrna Emergency Service line at (770) 434-6666. Failure to pay your water bill or apply for service does not constitute an emergency. 
  • How do I get a roll-off dumpster at my residence?
    The City offers 20yd open top roll-off dumpsters to residential locations. For a list of charges associated with a rolloff dumpster please consult the delivery fee, open top pulls, open top tonnage and 20yd rental sections of the Commercial Sanitation Rates document. Fill out this waiver form and return it to the Utility Services Department.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer