Firefighter Trainee - Starting Salary: $36,256
Firefighter EMT - Starting Salary: $40,245
Firefighter Paramedic- Starting Salary: $41,696
Eligible for health, dental and vision coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation, paid holidays, vacation and sick time accruals, wellness program.
Non-exempt (Eligible for overtime)
24 hours on duty / 48 hours off duty
• Under direct supervision of commanding officer, responds to emergency calls for fire suppression, medical assistance, hazardous materials incidents, motor vehicle accidents, natural disasters, explosions, bomb threats, downed power lines, and other emergency situations.
• Assists in providing protection of life and property.
• Assists in locating water supplies to fight fires.
• Provides response, assistance, or follow-up for non-emergency situations.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• High school diploma or GED.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
• Must pass the City of Smyrna background investigation, medical, psychological and physical agility standards.
• For Certified Candidates Only: Must possess a current NPQ FFI and Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (NREMT-B) or Georgia Certified Firefighter and Georgia Certified EMT.
NPQ FFII and Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician – Paramedic (NREMT-P) or Georgia Certified Firefighter and Georgia Certified Paramedic desired.
• All applicants will be required to take a fire entry level entrance exam.
Must successfully complete the following:
• *Written entry level test
• *Physical agility test
• *Panel interview
• *In-depth background investigations
• *Interview with the Fire Chief
• *Psychological examination
• *Medical examination and drug screen
Additional Benefits Available to Firefighters:
State of Georgia Firefighters' Pension Fund
THE HIRING PROCESS
Applicants considering employment as a Firefighter must successfully pass each step of the pre-employment process before progressing to the next. All applicants must submit an online application to City Smyrna Human Resources via the city's website at www.smyrnacity.com.
1. The Written Test
The written test is a Civil Service entrance exam that is administered by the City of Smyrna Human Resources Department.
2. Physical Agilities Test
The physical agility test is conducted by the City of Smyrna Training Division. The test consists of 6 stations that measure the candidate's ability to perform the tasks in a given amount of time. Dress for the test consists of fire helmet, firefighting gloves and a weighted vest.. Click here for an outline of the different stations.
3. Panel Interview Board
4. The Background Check
All potential employees of the City of Smyrna Fire Department must undergo a complete background check. The investigation checks for criminal history, DUI's, a pattern of traffic violations, excessive number of terminations from previous employers, financial status, and drug use, possession or distribution.
5. Interview with Fire Chief
6. Psychological Exam
7. Physical Exam and Drug Screen
The physical exam is completed by a physician to determine whether you are able to perform the functions that may be required of you while employed with the City of Smyrna Fire Department.