Police Officer (Uncertified) Police Officer (Certified)
Starting Salary: $38,494 (+$3000 signing bonus) Starting Salary: $41,420 (+$5000 signing bonus)
Benefits: Eligible for health, dental and vision coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation, paid holidays, vacation and sick time accruals, wellness program.
Status: Non-exempt (Eligible for overtime)
Schedule: 12 hour shift work
• Patrols streets, industrial parks, businesses, and residential areas within an assigned zone in the City to thwart potential criminal activity.
• Enforces City ordinances, state and federal statutes, and other regulations for which the Police Department is responsible; enforces the traffic code of Georgia, issues citations, and/or makes arrests as appropriate.
• Answers calls for service in a timely, professional, appropriate manner; provides immediate response in emergency situations; uses proper judgment in neutralizing situations.
• Conducts accident investigations and provides preliminary first aid as needed.
• Prepares detailed reports regarding calls for service received while on duty.
• Transports prisoners to jail facility.
• Initiates criminal investigations and calls for detectives when needed.
• May be called upon to work special assignments as needed.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• High school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
• Must be at least 21 years of age at time of employment.
• Must possess a valid Georgia Driver's License.
• Must be a citizen of the United States.
• Must pass physical agility test, an extensive background investigation, post-offer psychological, medical, and drug screen.
• For Uncertified Candidates Only: Must be able to show proof of acceptable ASSET, COMPASS, SAT, ACT or POST Entrance test scores for Georgia Peace Officer's Standards and Training Council (POST) Academy Entrance. AND Must be able to qualify for and obtain POST Certification within one year of employment and acquire additional training as required.
• For Certified Candidates Only: Must possess a current Georgia Peace Officer's Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.) Certification(s) AND have at least 2 years of consecutive service and/or training as a sworn officer.
• See Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA 35-8-8) for additional requirements.
Additional Benefits Available to Police Officers:
Police Officer Association of Georgia Pension
THE HIRING PROCESS
Applicants considering employment as a Police Officer (Uncertified and Certified) must successfully pass each step of the pre-employment process before progressing to the next. All applicants must submit an online application to City of Smyrna Human Resources via the city's website at www.smyrnacity.com.
1. Physical Agilities Test
The physical agility test is conducted by the City of Smyrna Police Training Division. The test is based on the Cooper Institute test components and norms for mandatory testing programs. The test consists of a 1.5 Mile Run, 1 Minute Sit Up, Upper Body Strength and Bench Press. Click here to view the standard for each category.
2. Panel Interview Board
3. The Background Check
All potential employees of the City of Smyrna Police Department must undergo a complete background check. The investigation checks for criminal history, DUI's, a pattern of traffic violations, excessive number of terminations from previous employers, financial status, and drug use, possession or distribution.
4. Polygraph Test
5. Interview with Police Chief
6. Psychological Exam
7. Physical Exam and Drug Screen
The physical exam is completed by a physician to determine whether you are able to perform the functions that may be required of you while employed with the City of Smyrna Police Department