Police officers dedicated to their community;
A community dedicated to their officers.
Police Officers operate under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant (Uniform Division) on one of two assigned shifts. They perform general law enforcement duties in an effort to protect life and property, enforce federal, state and local laws, respond to emergency situations, and investigate criminal activity for the well-being of the citizens of the City of Smyrna.
Essential Job Duties:
• Patrols streets, industrial parks, businesses, and residential areas within an assigned zone in the City to thwart potential criminal activity.
• Enforces City ordinances, state and federal statutes, and other regulations for which the Police Department is responsible; enforces the traffic code of Georgia, issues citations, and/or makes arrests as appropriate.
• Answers calls for service in a timely, professional, appropriate manner; provides immediate response in emergency situations; uses proper judgment in neutralizing situations.
• Conducts accident investigations and provides preliminary first aid as needed.
• Prepares detailed reports regarding calls for service received while on duty.
• Transports prisoners to jail facility.
• Initiates criminal investigations and calls for detectives when needed.
• May be called upon to work special assignments as needed.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• High school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
• Must be at least 21 years of age on the testing date.
• Must possess or be able to acquire a valid Georgia Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
• Must be a citizen of the United States.
• Must be able to qualify for and obtain Georgia Peace Officer's Standards and Training Council (POST) Certification within one year of employment and acquire additional training as required.
• See Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA 35-8-8) for additional requirements.
Physical Fitness Requirements
All Candidates Must Complete The Following:
•1.5 mile run in 15:45 minutes.
• 30 sit-ups in one minute.
• 21 continuous push-ups
• 1 bench press repetition of 67% of the candidate's weight.
The physical fitness test is based on the Cooper Institute test components.
For more information regarding the Cooper Institute visit http://www.cooperinstitute.org/pub/file.cfm?item_type=xm_file&id=684
The Smyrna Police Department employs highly qualified, goal-oriented and self-motivated individuals seeking a career in law enforcement. Offering competitive benefits and salaries, the Smyrna Police Department provides all equipment and training necessary to perform its law enforcement mission. More information may be obtained through the City of Smyrna Human Resources Department at (770) 319-5300.