What is “Support Smyrna”?
During the national health emergency response to COVID-19, the City of Smyrna, with the assistance of the Smyrna Public Safety Foundation, along with other initiatives and organizations working to assist our residents in need, the Support Smyrna movement is established to bring forces together, where possible, to provide a vetted option to contribute.
How can you help your neighbor and what if I need help or I'm a senior needing help?
There are three ways to help others - donate to provide those in need with groceries and/or pay a water/sanitation bill for someone. If you need to apply for help, look for the application and email link below. If you are a senior needing help, that information (including what to do and who to contact) is listed below, too. You can purchase t-shirt with proceeds going to the Support Smyrna initiative.
1) You Can - Donate to the Support Smyrna Grocery Assistance FundAs a result of the COVID-19 national health crisis, food insecurity is on the rise and your contribution to the Support Smyrna Grocery Assistance Fund is an opportunity to contribute a buggy of groceries for a Smyrna family in need. As a thank-you, every donor who makes a minimum $25 contribution will receive a Support Smyrna yard sign delivered to your Smyrna residence.
2) Pay a Neighbor’s Water/Sanitation Bill
The City of Smyrna announced on March 16, that due to the impacts of COVID-19 on the Smyrna community, residents and businesses, the City of Smyrna will not be disconnecting water services for non-payment for the next 60 days. The health of our community comes first and having access to water is essential in the prevention and further spread of COVID-19. In addition, the City will not apply late fees to the unpaid balances for the next 60 days to help ease the financial strain these times present. We have had people offer to assist others by offering to pay one or more months for someone else to help them along the way as we all work together through this.
To contribute to a neighbor’s water//sanitation bill or if you need assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
3) Purchase a T-shirt - scroll down for how to order
How do I apply for a gift card from the Support Smyrna Grocery Assistance Fund?
Applications will be available beginning Wednesday, April 1, 2020. The Support Smyrna grocery assistance fund is limited to the residents of the City of Smyrna, Georgia. Applicants must provide proof of residency and attest to their need to receive assistance.
If approved, you will receive a gift card to Kroger or Publix. Only one gift card will be awarded per family.
Qualifying applications and gift cards will be awarded in the order the application was received and distributed as funds become available. We have limited funds and will help as many as possible as funds become available.
Download Application (pdf)
Support Smyrna Grocery Assistance Application (Google form)
To receive/submit an application by email please go to: SupportSmyrna@smyrnaga.gov
Are you a Senior needing help picking up groceries and/or medications?
The Smyrna Police Department is stepping in to help.
We want you to know that your Smyrna Police Department constantly evaluates how best to serve and protect you. Right now, that means that we are stepping in to help limit possible exposure to the coronavirus for our senior and at-risk community members.
The White House Coronavirus Task Force-(WHCTF) has recommended avoiding grocery stores and pharmacies over the next two weeks. Given the WHCTF recommendations, we have developed a program that will help some of our most vulnerable citizens and some families that may need more assistance.
Starting Wednesday, April 8, 2020 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., the Smyrna Police Department’s Community Relations Unit in partnership with Mayor Norton’s SupprtSmyrna.org program will be available to pick up and deliver groceries and/or medicine for our most vulnerable adults (seniors 62 and older). We will also pick up groceries and medicine for families that are unable to get to a grocery store or pharmacy because of a hardship condition.
If you are a senior 62 years of age or older and/or you have a hardship situation such as an underlying health condition, you can call in, or order online, your grocery or pharmacy order at the following participating merchants:
- Publix (Smyrna S. Cobb Drive store)
- Kroger (Smyrna S. Cobb Drive store)
- Walmart (Cobb Parkway at Terrell Mill Road)
- Walgreens/CVS (Smyrna stores)
We want to hear from you before you place your order so that we can set a daily schedule. Once your order is ready and available to be picked up, you need to call Officer Taylor Elliott at 678-816-8396 or Sgt. L. Defense at 404-661-6699 with your order details and we will pick up and deliver your items (FREE of CHARGE).
We can help, but there are some things that we can't do or need you to do - listed below
- Officer Elliott and I cannot pay for your groceries or medicine, so you will have to secure the payment for your items before we can collect them and deliver to you.
- Officer Elliott and I cannot do the shopping for you (something you probably wouldn’t want either one of us to do anyway)
- Officer Elliott and I will not touch or manipulate your groceries or medicine once we pick them up from your retailer.
- As a courtesy, we will call you once we are on our way to your home and give you an estimated time of our arrival to your home.
Note: If your order is incorrect or an item is missing; you will need to contact the merchant to make arrangements to have your concern(s) addressed.
Support Smyrna / Smyrna Strong T-shirts Now Available!
Help Support Smyrna and local business, and look good in the process!
Shirts are $25 and all proceeds go to help your Smyrna neighbors in need.
Shirts are produced right here in Smyrna through Smyrna Swag by Argyle Estates residents Karen and Shawn Garcia.
Once you order we’ll deliver your shirt to you!
Thank you for your support!